There are really only 5 important questions to ask:
1) Why am "I" here? (What are my gifts/purpose?)
2) What REALLY matters? (Big picture…)
3) Why does it REALLY matter? (Challenge, defend #2)
4) What is the connection between the answers to 1, 2 and 3? (How can I contribute to promoting what REALLY matters in a way that utilizes my unique gifts/talents?)
5) Will the answers and actions suggested by 1, 2, 3 and 4 likely lead to increased happiness and fulfillment for me and others or not?
(If so, DO IT until it does or you are certain it won't.
<Be patient and honest.> If it does, time will fly and you will feel alive; if it does not, plan to move on, armed with the valuable lessons learned along the way and then ……….re-visit 1,2, 3 and 4.
NO time spent exploring the above is ever wasted as you can never see around the next corner: what can seem wasted at one moment could prove to be quite valuable and in a way you cannot predict. Often, you can only "connect the dots" looking in the "rear view mirror."
AND lf the answers to the above differs in 5 years, that will be OK too because neither you nor the world are standing still,